With 300 million registered users on the world's largest professional hub, there's no better place online to present yourself professionally other than LinkedIn.
LinkedIn has proven to be a virtual first impression and a ticket into an unexpected connection or conversation that could lead to your next big career move. But before your networking and connections even begin, let's get back to the basics with a profile face lift that LinkedIn calls "Rock Your Profile". Set 20 minutes aside to follow the guidance below, which will help you create smart and memorable content for others to read about you when they meet you on LinkedIn.
When writing the ‘Summary' section of your profile, answer these 5 important questions:
- When thinking about the work I do, what words do my clients/peers/managers consistently use to describe my work?
- How would I describe what I do to someone completely unfamiliar with my field?
- What do I want to be professionally known for?
- What can people expect me to bring to the table?
- What do I love most about what I do?
QUICK TIP: Unsure where to start? Take a look at your most recent performance review or feedback from others.
Consider these 5 things as you build out the remaining contents of your profile
- YOUR PHOTO. Select a photo that represents you professionally. This will humanize your profile and make you more approachable to others.
- PERSONALIZATION. Your profile is the front page of your story. The headline is a great way to show your value and passion in one quick line. Be creative. Make the reader want to read more.
- YOUR PITCH. Think of your summary as your elevator pitch. It should tell people what they can expect from you and describe what you do to someone who's unfamiliar with your job or field. Highlight your strengths!
- INCLUDE PHOTOS & VIDEOS. Use rich media, such as photos, videos, infographics, presentations, etc. to make your story jump off the page. This is a great way to showcase your work and your company to others.
- BE PASSIONATE. Above all, let your passion for what you do come through in your profile. Be creative and don't be afraid to show your personality.