It's easy to overlook the importance of a preliminary interview. Like many other employers, your preliminary interview with us is over the phone. Maximize your impression on one of our recruiters with these tips to move forward to the next step of the process:
Phone interviews are shorter, but you still need to prepare.
- We use a behavior-based interviewing model. You'll be asked two questions during the phone interview. Read up on behavior-based Interviewing and how to prepare
- Have a printed copy of your résumé in front of you to refer to. Check out our tips on what to keep and what to nix
- Think through experiences you've had, including leadership opportunities and/or extracurricular activities
Do your research!
Your time with the recruiter is your chance to make a first impression, so make sure it's a positive one.
- Understand the job you applied to and why you're pursuing the opportunity
- Take your time to learn more about the company. Take advantage of information available on the company's website, social media and other sites like Glassdoor
- Brainstorm questions to ask the recruiter at the conclusion of the interview. This demonstrates knowledge you've acquired and your genuine interest in the organization and position
Think about your environment.
Cell phones allow you to conduct your interview anywhere. Consider your location ahead of time.
- Avoid noisy locations like coffee shops and restaurants. If you choose to interview in a public place, you risk having background noise and other distractions interrupt your call
- Test your signal strength. Different phones and providers vary in their ability to transmit quality signals. Make sure the location you plan to use won't cause you to drop a call. "Can you hear me now?"" is not a question to plan on asking
- Be comfortable, but not too comfortable. Your posture, facial expressions and attire can influence how you sound. Do what makes you feel confident and professional, even if that means wearing a suit at home or in your dorm room
Need help brainstorming questions for us?