Nestlé Purina's commitment to pet welfare is about envisioning, as a team, what we can do to enrich the lives of pets and the people who love them. It's about partnering with local organizations that support pets AND people to accomplish something bigger. And it's about having unconditional support from the bottom up and from the top down to take initiative within our communities.
Each year, Nestlé Purina celebrates PetCare Pride Day – a day devoted to community service at our St. Louis Headquarters and also at many of our factory facilities across the country. This is an opportunity for associates to step away from their desks and off the production floor to divide into teams to perform a variety of service activities.
This Year's Highlights
2015's Service Accomplishments
- A group of 50 associates went to Lucas Park in St. Louis, MO to complete a pre-makeover in advance of a new dog park
- A group of 60 associates spent the morning painting, organizing, assembling, landscaping and cleaning the Carol House Quick Fix Clinic, plus offering an additional $2,000 donation to the facility from our associates
- A group of 21 associates lent their abilities to an outdoor play yard project at Gateway Pet Guardians Shelter, as well as donating nearly $4,000
- Our Green Paws group partnered with Operation Brightside on a landscaping project at Soulard Market and also at Creve Coeur Park Trails
- A group of certified Pet Partners, amongst other volunteers, went to Grand Manor in Swansea, Illinois and the Missouri Veterans Home in North County to comfort and bring joy to people in need
- On campus, we assembled 7,500 ready-to-eat meals and 1,000 personal care kits, which are distributed by Peter and Paul Community Services, Kingdom House, St. Vincent's and AmeriCorps.
- We made 100 care kits for veterans at the Missouri Veterans Home
- We constructed 30 dog houses, 20 cat scratching posts, 36 cat bunk beds, 150 dog beds and 170 pet blankets that will be donated to area pet shelters
- We assembled 1,000 Purina Pet Packs for area shelters, containing essential items new pet owners need to get started
2014's Service Accomplishments
- Associates made 135 pet blankets, 150 dog beds, 34 dog houses, 25 cat scratching posts and 39 bunk beds for area shelters
- 1,000 Purina Pet Adoption Kits with essential items for new pet owners were also assembled and donated to area shelters
- Approximately 6,500 ready-to-eat meals and over 1,000 personal care kits were distributed to the homeless via Peter & Paul Community Services, Kingdom House and AmeriCorps and St. Vincent's
- 70 associates joined by St. Louis Alderwoman, Phyllis Young, went to the 12th and Park Rec Center to complete various on-site tasks
- The Green Paws group partnered with Operation Brightside on a landscaping project at Soulard Market
- Nearly 50 associates completed the first-ever PetCare Pride Day 5K run, with donations of $2,500 given to both St. Clair County and 12th and Park in honor of all race participants
2013's Service Accomplishments
- 30 dog houses, 17 cat scratching posts, 25 cats bunk beds, 140 pet blankets, 178 dog beds and 1,000 Purina Pet Adoption Kits were made and donated to area shelters
- 140 fleece baby blankets were made for children and patients at Mercy Hospital and the Ronald McDonald House
- 6,000 ready-to-eat meals and 1,000 personal care kits were prepared for Peter & Paul Community Services, Kingdom House and AmeriCorps to support the homeless
- 75 associates spent the day at Peter & Paul Community Services Homeless Shelter to give the facility a makeover by cleaning, organizing and painting
- 50 associates took part in building a cat jungle gym and painting a mural among other projects at Open Door Animal Sanctuary
- The Green Paws Group sponsored a project at FOCUS North America where 50 associates participated in painting and landscaping in front of the facility
- 25 associates took part in general maintenance activities that included painting, landscaping and cleaning at Gateway Pet Guardians
All in a day's work, associates at Nestlé Purina made a true impact on our local and national communities. The planning has already begun for PetCare Pride Day 2015!