It's easy to drum up 100 reasons why you might fall in love with Denver. Its breathtaking mountains (that will literally take your breath away) and 300 days of annual sunshine are simply enough to drive never-ending foot traffic through this "mile high city." But aside from being a mecca for some of the country's best brews and providing easy access to extreme sports, anecdotal evidence speaks loudly that Denver is one of the happiest and healthiest cities in the U.S. And lucky for us, one of our 20 manufacturing facilities is located just minutes from the heart of downtown Denver.
It's common for those living in Denver to share the same story: "I came to Denver...and never left." The same holds true for Purina. Our factory was built in 1930, just 72 years after Denver was first established in Colorado as a capital. For its first 42 years in operation, livestock feed was produced until the plant transitioned into a pet food-only manufacturer in 1972. Since then, this location became the first ever pet food factory to utilize solar energy. To date, we're proud to (sustainably) produce 260,134 tons annually of Dog Chow®, Cat Chow®, Friskies Cat Chow®, Kit n Kaboodle®, Alpo®, Beneful®, Beyond®, Purina ONE® and Pro Plan®.
If driving down Interstate 70, you'll notice Purina's processing tower, decorated in pet graphics, which has quickly become a local landmark. Over 265 associates make up our Denver Purina Family – each of them proud to live in a city which has been consistently ranked in the top 10 U.S. pet-loving cities and in the top five most dog-friendly cities.
"I love working in the 'Mile High City' because of the people I work with and the environment that my family is able to enjoy," Evvie, Human Resources Manager said. "The people in this city are casual, upbeat and positive and we're often leading the standings on Top Lists of healthiest and most pet-friendly cities in the U.S."
Our Denver factory is a proud active member of the local Globeville Business Association, a supporter of Junior Achievement and various other organizations and local charities. Being affiliated with so many groups makes us proud to donate both food and funds to help others in need.
Outside of work life, associates enjoy turning to Denver's vibrant night life and host of activities for any time during the day – such as a concert at the Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre to experience amazing acoustics, a visit to the Denver Art Museum and Zoo, a walk along the 16th Street Mall or a Colorado Rockies game at Coors Field.
Interested in any of our other 19 U.S. factory locations? Click here.
10 Denver Favorites...
- 6,000 acres of park space
- Washington Park
- James A. Bible Park
- Confluence Park
- Civic Center Park
- Coors Brewery for free kid-friendly, self-guided tours
- Some of the best authentic Mexican Restaurants
- La Casita
- Nancy's Fancy Burritos
- Milagro Burritos
- Tacos el Pancho
- Asada Rico
- Some of the best views in the U.S can be found from:
- The Denver Millennium Bridge
- Coors Field
- Green Mountain Trail
- The Colorado State Capital
- City Park
- The pro cycling event (the USA Pro Challenge) – and the terrain – that undoubtedly rivals the classic European tours
- You can get a suburban look and feel in an affordable home right near downtown – with a big front and backyard!
- The REI Flagship Store is based in Denver – every outdoor lover's dream
- The casual culture where most people sport Patagonia over Prada
- Elitch Gardens – an amusement and waterpark all in one that's located in the heart of the city
- Music festival season in the summertime – from bluegrass to blues and rock-n-roll at various unique venues